Sunday 17 January 2010

The Vegetable Experiment - Year Two

After last years semi-successful experiment, it's time for part two, the sequel. The all important second album. 

Hopefully not a re-run, hashed up mix of year one.

It's getting to that time of year again. Well nearly, last year I was late in getting started, so I missed out on being able to plant a lot of vegetables as there just wouldn't be enough of a growing season for them. I need to to make a plan and me, I'm good at starting stuff like this but really crap at finishing it. Just like I was meant to blog about how the veg experiment was going. I think that lasted all of three posts! Hopefully this year I'll be better but please don't hold your breath!

I might as well give a quick recap of how year one's growing went. That's if I can remember what I planted, most of I can. I think. Well hear goes. This is what was in my main planters.

  • Cabbage - grew well but just never seem to come to anything.
  • Swede -  grew well and gave a few away as I had too many. Even gave away seedlings that went to harvest.
  • Spring Onions - Went well. Lost a few to the rain, the survivors were good and flavourful
  • Beet root - Was a mixed of my own batch only two survived to be eaten. Seedlings I gave away went on to be harvested.
  • Lettuce - Very successful until I let them go to flower and seed, died after that but got much enjoyment out of them during the summer
  • Carrots - Complete failure for some reason, sprouted, died.

In smaller pots and planters I had a few herbs and vegetables as follows.

  • Parsley - of the curly variety, grew well and is still clinging on even in this atrocious weather.
  • Thyme - same as the Parsley.
  • Basil - grew brilliant and have re-potted in doors and is growing strong
  • Peppers - Just can't grow them outside in Scotland, just didn't work
  • Chillies - Exact same problem as the peppers. Probably need a green house.

I'm possibly missing a couple of things which means they unfortunately didn't make it to harvest. Yes, it's a bit of and eclectic mix there but on the whole it worked.

I'll need to do some ground work this year to recharge the soil in the planters, in preparation of that I've got myself some chicken manure to dig in and turn over once the snow and ice melts on the balcony. 

Also I will have to look out my seed packets and find out exactly what I have. don't want to go buying seeds I already have. No point in that.

I really enjoyed the process. Maybe it's me as a country boy getting back to my roots, pardon the pun. I grew up around people growing stuff. I remember my Gran growing grapes in her greenhouse and used to make myself ill by gorging on them. I also remember being in tears in primary school after the teacher told me I was silly and you don't grow grapes in a greenhouse. She wasn't the only one. Tomatoes used to and still do get passed over the fence. 

It's great and I get immense enjoyment out of it. It is also something I want to continue and grow (sorry). I have grand plans but I me need a garden for that or at the very least an allotment but that won't happen in East Kilbride. I recently applied for one, £26 for an entire year and was informed that I was in a waiting list that was currently running at over 50 years. They're aren't many and it would appear to be very popular.

If anybody as any suggestions or knows what vegetables grow well in pots please leave a comment. However do remember I live in Scotland so we tend not to get great sunshine in the winter but my balcony faces a south easterly direction and therefore gets what sun there is the vast majority of the day.

Posted via email from tookiebunten's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment