Sunday 7 March 2010

The Vegetable Experiment - Year 2

This is me in my second year of my great vegetable experiment. Last year was more success than failure so I have a lot to achieve this year to match last years harvest. It's on.

I finally got my finger out today and got my vegetable planters sorted for the new growing season. It wasn't entirely my fault, the weather has been terrible and the snow and ice has, in the last week or so just melted and thawed enough. I had a look at the planters earlier in the week but the soil was just too hard. I could also finally see the damage the weather had wreaked on my winter vegetables.

Destroyed crops

As you can see from the photograph; my winter cabbage, swedes, beetroot had been destroyed by the snow and ice. All that was left to do was to dig them out and get it set for the spring, refertilized with chicken manure.

Stinking

However it was not all doom and gloom on the growing front. I had some new growths from my herbs. Somehow they had managed to survive where the vegetables had died and some of them were even sprouting. Hopefully I'll be able to nurse the tarragon, curly parsley and thyme that have lived, to maturity and be able to use them again this year.

New sprouting

Now all I have to do is decide what to seed up and propagate and plant them out when it's time and the weather is warmer.

Posted via web from tookiebunten's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment